Saturday, July 7, 2018

The Importance of Teaching Digital Citizenship

Since my last post was about why I believe integrating technology into education is important, I thought it would be appropriate to follow it up with the importance of teaching digital citizenship.  


Graphic credited to dogoodbekind.life

My students use digital communication as their main form of communication with their peers.  Many times in the morning as students are entering school and getting ready for the day I hear them talking about the group messages from the previous evening.  I also have students that text or email me. (I am thankful that I work in a school that allows me to do this. This has built some great relationships between myself and my students). I have learned, both with my own children and with my students they are more willing to share things with you via text message. With that in mind I believe it is even more important for me to lay the groundwork for my students on the importance of digital citizenship. I believe it is my role to “promote and model digital etiquette and responsible social interactions related to the use of technology and information” (ISTE Standards, 2008, n.p).  Students need to know and understand digital etiquette. Ribble (2015) states, “Often rules and regulations are created or the technology is simply banned to stop inappropriate use” (n.p). While this may be an easier route, and possibly necessary under certain circumstances, it creates a situation where students never learn proper digital etiquette.   The ISTE Standards for Students (2016) outlines specific goals for students when using technology which includes, “engaging in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices” (n.p). If students aren’t taught what ethical behavior online is or aren’t given the opportunity to practice it, is difficult to hold them accountable for something they don’t know much about.  

During my Master's courses, I learned a lot about digital citizenship and found many free curriculums that I have since utilized.  Common Sense Media has an extensive library that I found to be extremely useful when I began looking for resources to teach my children about digital citizenship.  My students particularly loved the games that went along with the lessons I taught.  The main thing I have felt is essential to get across to my students is that what you post online, text in a message or your search history is your digital footprint.  It is there forever.



via GIPHY

I see the look on my students' faces when I tell them this.  Sometimes it is utter fear, and this makes me sad for them.  It also makes me realize no one has taught them about online behavior, which also shows me that I need to work on educating parents on digital citizenship.  I am slowing but surely doing this.  It is part of my conference talk in both the fall and the spring.  I would like to host a digital citizenship night for parents.  They don't know what it is like to grow up with any information you could ever want, be right at your fingertips, and therefore many of them don't know how to parents children that do have it at their disposal.

I will post an update when I host this parent night (hopefully this fall) and let you know how it goes.  Has anyone does this and are there any tips you can provide?

Tona

HE>I


References
Image. (n.d).  Retrieved from https://dogoodbekind.life/


International Society for Technology in Education. (2016). ISTE standards: Students. Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-S_PDF.pdf

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). ISTE standards: Teachers. Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-T_PDF.pdf

Ribble, M. (2015). Digital citizenship: Using technology appropriately [website]. Retrieved from http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/Home_Page.html



No comments:

Post a Comment